Friday, August 06, 2004

My laptop's mishap

On Monday, 1st August, my Sony VAIO laptop became the casualty of an unfortunate accident.

I was in NIE Canteen and my classmate, Yifen needed to use my laptop to add/drop modules for the semester and as my laptop's battery always need constant charging, I plugged in the charger in the socket and had the charger on the floor. Then a Year 1 guy trainee tripped over the charger and although my laptop is quite sturdy and heavy, somehow, the impact made the whole laptop crashed to the ground. It happened so fast that we could do nothing in time to save the laptop. The laptop was initially L-shaped when in use, now it lay completely flat out on the ground, like an open book. When Yifen helped picked up the laptop, and I saw the shattered LCD screen (the outer screen was still intact but the internal screen was 'decorated' with cracks and weird colour), my heart broke. The guy quickly offered to provide his contact number and asked if my laptop was still under warranty. I told him no, and he asked how much I bought the laptop for which i told him 2000plus. He told me to contact him and give him the receipt once the repair is done.

I was quite traumatised by the incident and Yifen was in shock. Mark, my YEP member was also at the scene as I was suppose to burn a copy of Little Miracles' powerpoint for the SLC's Jamboree presentation. He knew the guy and told me if there's anything I need to inform that guy, he can help liaise. I was quite concern about whether my documents in the com are still intact cos I did not make any backup files. Then, I was overcomed by emotions cos I thought about how the laptop has sentimental values (my dad bought it for me 1 mth before i entered NIE), tears were brimming in my eyes and Mark asked me "eh, don't cry." Considering that the place was pretty crowded, I controlled my tears but really felt quite upset.

I brought my laptop to IMM Sony collection centre the next day and was told that the LCD screen is a goner, the repair might amount to quite a considerable sum but will need the assessment by Sony's technician. I need to await the call of the technician to know the actual cost in about 2 days time.

On the 3rd day (which is today), I received the call from the technician. Apparently, my hard disk is still intact and my files can still be read, just that the LCD screen needs to be replaced. The total cost of replacement inclusive of service charge and GST amounts to $1009.05 which is almost half the price when my dad got my laptop ($2299 promotional price). I messaged the laptop spoiler to keep him updated and he replied that we'll talk about it next week but I think I will talk to him tml during the break of our common general elective class (unless he dropped that module).

Lessons learnt:

  • To 'guard' your laptop when using it by making sure that at least your hand is positioned in a manner that can grab your laptop if it's about to drop.
  • To not leave the charger lying on the ground lest someone may trip over it.
  • To back up the important files in your laptop, you'll never know when an accident may happen.
  • To thank my lucky stars that at least the condition wasn't as bad as expected (won't be able to retrieve my documents).

No comments: