Thursday, March 13, 2008

"Blacklisted" shops

Was out shopping with sis yesterday at Bugis and I realised why people write to the forum complaining about the lousy service they encountered when they shop here. It's really very disappointing to see the local sales personnels treat fellow Singaporeans poorly.

There was a shop in Bugis Junction where nice t-shirts were sold. Both my sis and myself intended to get 2 tees from the shop. However, I was really put off by the snobbish salesgirl. She had this attitude and her body language seems to imply that we won't be buying, we are just wasting her time browsing through the shop's items. Though we really liked the tees' designs but due to her lousy service, I simply put the clothes back on the rack and left the shop. My sis asked why I'm so pissed off and I told her I'd rather not spend then to bear with this kind of nonsense. The salesgirl wasn't even the boss and if that's the way she treats customers, I'm sure the shop won't be able to achieve a good reputation.

We headed to Bugis Street next and we were lucky enough to find a small shop selling the same range of printed tees at the same price. However, the sales person in the shop was really helpful and we could sense that he was sincere to serve us. We bought 2 nicer prints frm the shop and I won't mind going back to the shop to check out what they have the next time I'm there.

The next "blacklisted" shop on my shopping list is one located on the second level of Bugis street. I recognise the lady boss as she was a very eloquent sales lady from bYSi before. She quitted her job there a few years back to open her own shop in Bugis street. I saw that she had some leggings and tights that I was interested in getting, hence I went into the shop to check out the price. After enquiring for awhile, she started getting impatient and she took on the tone that I was just there to check out prices. She implied that I was not serious in making any purchase and I was not prepared to pay a higher price for better quality materials. I was quite disgusted with the way she handles customers. My sis pointed out if the lady had on a microphone and portable speaker, she would have resembled a sales promoter for cooking ware at shopping malls. She had a rather condescending attitude and was quite rude when we were about to leave the shop. I merely mentioned that I didn't know the leggings will cost so much and she took offence in that. She concluded that I was just there to compare prices and was not sincere in buying anything from her. With just this incident, she has actually succeeded in removing me from her potential customers' list. I don't see the need to spend and suffer such lousy service even if I were there to buy the simplest or cheapest item in a shop. It's not a matter of how expensive the item in the shop or how rich a customer is. It's all in the attitude!

No comments: