Sunday, January 23, 2005

Donation drive

After my piano lessons and getting lunch, went to SIF to get the tin cans for the tsunami donation drive. I was asked to get the funds from Newton Food Centre. I was surprised to see quite few people eating there cos it was lunchtime.

It was hard to get donations from the public because Red Cross has recently announced publicly that they don't need anymore funds. I had to explain that this is for SIF's teams that are going over to help the locals rebuild their homes, hence the donation drive name "Rebuilding Lives".

I headed back to Plaza Singapura's bus stop hoping to get more funds there. After awhile, I went to the bus stop outside Park Mall. A lady generously donated $10 and another was interested in joining the teams. Another mother donated $15...she wanted to donate $20 but did not have enough ready cash. It was really heartening to see them donating generously cos I felt like a spoilt radio that kept repeating "Hi, Good afternoon, we are trying to get funds for the tsunami victims under Singapore International Foundation. Thank you."

After gettting both tin cans a little more than half-filled, I headed back to SIF to return them so that I could leave. Unable to stay till the whole thing ends at 9pm. Don't have the stamina. At least I did a little bit for those people.

No comments: