Thursday, December 16, 2004

Back from trip

Hi all! Yup, I'm back from the Yunnan trip...the scenery there was simply breath-taking but the stairs-climbing was torturous!!! It's like physical training there! But come on, even the elderly people were there to rough it out just cos of the fantastic scenery.

The great part of the trip was the nice scenery and cheap books and cds. However, the negative part was having to bear with irritating, cannot-sit-still kids during flights (had to scold 2 boys for knocking constantly at the back of my seat making me irritable and unable to rest during the flights) and the constant need to look out for spittings on the ground. The Chinese still do not have any idea of hygiene in public places. Quite disgusted by the way they spit anywhere and everywhere. Really spoils the whole experience. Another negative point is that they do not know how to queue up. Always cutting queues and pushing and shoving to get their way. Haiz...I figure they still need some time to learn some social conduct in order to be able to compete with other nations for a gracious society.

I don't mean to criticise them but it really creates quite a bad image. Just give them some time to change. Another sad sight was to see beggars on the streets. Some of them were young kids who were disabled and did not even have proper clothing to wear in the cold weather. It's winter there now and even though there's no snowing but the chilly wind can really make one feel uncomfortable if you do not have enough warm clothing. Some of the beggars are mothers with their kids strapped on their backs or carried in their arms...my parents did donate some money to them but I couldn't cos i was penniless...didn't need to bring any money along since my parents will be.

Will miss the young children there cos they are simply adorable! They have such rosy and chubby cheeks and they will smile or laugh when u just look at them. There were quite a few instances where the young child smiled or laughed when I look at him or her. Was very tempted to take a photo of them but my parents did not allow cos they are afraid that the parents will ask for money if I did. Hopefully the Bhutanese kids are as adorable so I can take more pictures with them when we are there for YEP.

No comments: